Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Nostalgia Part Two

I think the real list is "Albums of the Year," which I don't think I'm ready to write quite yet. To delay that post, I've listed my fifteen favorite tracks of 2008. A couple qualifiers:

-This is totally subjective and represents my taste not yours (which, by its very nature, implies that I think mine is better).  Thus, the obvious genre preferences.

-"Best" is overly abstract.  I could just use the top 15 most played tracks of '08 from iTunes or something, but I'm going to use my judgment to try to analyze my own taste historically over the past year.  

-Ordering the "best" songs numerically  is pretty ridiculous.  I can't believe I'm quantifying this shit.  I have no sufficient standards to explain my choices.  Sorry.  Neither do you, though.

 Here we go:

1. Neon Neon - Raquel - This is a seamless track that defines both the existent state of electro-indie music, while also beckoning the looming specters to come in 2009 (maybe).  The instrumentation is a perfect synthesis of New Order-esque synths and conga-shaker percussion.  The vocals are stirring and moving.  The story is gut-wrenching.  I couldn't want anything more.

 

2. Hercules and Love Affair - Blind - I am so, so happy that, due in large part to DFA Records, disco is back.  The song feels like there is a lot going on, and there is: multiple synthesizers, multiple singers, a really prominent percussion section, and an actual live brass section (!).  Oh, don't forget the dancers.  They must add something.  Antony's vocals complement the instrumentation pretty ideally (which is why, in his absence during live performances, the track doesn't pack quite the same punch).

 

3. Cut Copy - Hearts on Fire - Is that really a sample from Jock Jams?  I think it is.  Ah well, fuck it.  I couldn't decide which Cut Copy track deserved to be at the top of this year's list because so many of the tracks on their album In Ghost Colours are so good.  I picked this one because it's the one that, in concert, they think you should dance to the hardest.  Another perfect 80's revival track with a hook that is even stronger than the happy pills their crowds swallowed an hour before the show.

 

4. Dodos - Fools - "So he does listen to non-electronica!" Well, yeah, I do.  I think I mix it up pretty well, actually.  It's just that this year was dominated by this 80's revival dance-disco movement that blew the new developments in old school (circa 2004) "indie-rock" out of the water.  I stumbled into Soundfix Records in Williamsburg some time in January to find the Dodos playing a set in the back bar.  I walked out pretty baffled.  Taking a page from the Animal Collective acoustic guitar sound (that was lost a couple years back, too, I think...), Fools is a great track based on the very simple combination of strumming guitar, constant bass drum, and beautiful vocals.

 

5. High Places - Heads Spin - I love this band's sound. This track is off the "03.07-09.07" EP (rather than the recently released LP), but it is definitely the group's most cogent track.  The combination of eclectic percussion sounds and Mary Pearson's angelic voice synthesize perfectly in this track, and the tropical, ethereal vibe is irresistible.

 

6. Syclops - Naoka's F - I have waited for electronic music to turn "artsy" and with few exceptions (most notably The Books), it hasn't.  This Finnish act produced by Maurice Fulton is just what I was waiting for.  This track is based on synthesizer-electronica sounds but also features a prominent accompaniment from an upright fucking bass.  This track is jazzy and electronic in all the right places, and it displays the complexity of a group that goes beyond the bangers and mere dance-ability of most contemporary electronic music.

 

7. The Notwist - Boneless - This track is very honest.  It isn't groundbreaking or revolutionary, nor is it shocking or "out there."  A straight forward piano riff breaks into a straight forward rhythm section featuring a tambourine jingle and simple snare-and-bass drum beat.  As the beautifully sung German-accented vocals break in, the strings section enters with it, a melodious violin-guitar-synthesizer combination that is soothing and emotional.  But more than that, it is totally unpretentious.  This band has been around for a while and I joined late in the game, but I'm glad I did.

 

8. Crystal Castles - Air War - This is probably not the single from this album chosen for most lists (Crimewave is certainly the most popular track from the album), but I like this one better.  The backbone of the song is a little 8-bit ditty, with some strange, seemingly meaningless jibberish from a sprite-like voice.  Maybe it's just that, at this point in the year, I've had a little too much of Alice Glass' brooding shrieks, but I really like the song's playfulness.  Oh, and you can still dance to this track just as hard as you please.

 

9. Sébastien Tellier - Divine - This track is very pop-y and borderline cheesy, but completely earnest and lovable.  The melody is catchy and the accompanying vocals sound more barbershop quartet than they do French electro, but they come together with the synthesizer and drums perfectly, with the help of some...ahem...daft producing.  But really, Sébastien is the new Serge, and this track is irresistible. 

 

10. King Khan and the Shrines - Welfare Bread - If you've ever met or seen King Khan, this song will make total sense:  "You don't have to pay your bills anymore now / you just have to eat my welfare bread".  The brass and rhythm sections form the perfect platform for the absurd evil genius that is King Khan.  Throw away all your worldly toils and join him eating welfare bread.  You'll like it.  From what I am told, welfare bread is white bread with mayonnaise and water.  Delicious.

 

11. Vivian Girls - Where Do You Run To? - Garage rock is back! This track has the weighty sound of a deeply meaningful moment in the soundtrack-of-your-life, but it is a well-crafted rock song infused with that female-rocker swagger and the surf-rock vibe.  Short and sweet, this track delivers a catchy and substantive glimpse into rock history, past and present.  There are no frills and no gimmicks, just a simple chorus, effective harmonies, drum, bass, and guitar.  

 

12. MGMT - Kids - Look, I don't even want to put this song on the list.  Yeah, it's a pretty great track.  Yeah, I listened to it from January through March-ish pretty often.  But then, gawd. 

 

13. Starfucker - The Chemtrails - I'm really into Lo-Fi electro and this is probably the pick of the year for that subgenre.  This song floats on an airy synth line and never falters.

 

14. Hot Chip - Ready for the Floor - Disclaimer: the Soulwax remix is this song is better.  Somehow, though, that was released in '07, while the Hot Chip album came out in '08.  Also, the video makes me think this song is better than it is.  Nonetheless, it's a damn good track, and it deserves to be recognized.  

 

15. Megapuss - Crop Circle Jerk - Considering the title, it's hard to believe that this is an earnest love song, but from what I can tell, it is.  Then again, who knows with Devandra.  This is a swooning ballad, with an extremely well-executed progression from a woodwind introduction, into the guitar-drum-vocal verses, to the chorus.  Clean, pretty, and in some way that I can't quite pinpoint, ironic.

No comments:

Post a Comment